Thursday, January 29, 2009

Some love for Special Teams

Keyaron Fox, one of the players who has made a big difference on the Steelers' kick coverage unit, answered questions from the media on Thursday about his time in Kansas City, and other topics. Here is a transcript provided by the NFL:

(on moving on from his experience in Kansas City): “I just have to put my first four years in the league behind me and start out on a new foot.”



(on why things didn’t work out in Kansas City): “There was a reason for it. Maybe there was something about me. Maybe I wasn’t mature enough. Maybe I wasn’t ready to be a part of that organization. Now I get a second chance and I’m happy to be here.”



(on the differences in his experience in Pittsburgh): “I want to give a lot of credit to the ownership that the Steelers have. They have an atmosphere over there where they definitely put the players first. They are concerned about the fans and the image of the Steelers. That reflects down onto the coaches, and from there it trickles down onto the players. It’s a more laid-back atmosphere. You can be yourself and have fun with football. It is still a job. It’s a high-paying industry so on Sundays you have to produce, but Monday through Saturday it is really relaxed and chill. You are able to concentrate in a better environment.”



(on whether the environment leads to success or vice versa): “I just realized for the Steelers that this is their sixth time going to the Super Bowl. Maybe that has a lot to do with it. I still give the owners a lot of credit for that.”



(on teams’ abilities to finish games in the fourth quarter): “I don’t really know how we do it here, but the Pittsburgh Steelers do manage to finish a lot of games in the fourth quarter. I think it boils down to people’s experience. There were a lot of guys in Kansas City that didn’t have that experience and that was ultimately the difference.”



(on being on the field for the first play): “I’m really looking forward to getting some contact. Right now, everything is so surreal, but when I get that first piece of contact everything will come back into focus. Then I will realize that this is what it all comes down to. We’re playing against the best team in the NFC. It will be a challenge, but I will still be amped. I will be delivering the contact.”

Labels: ,